Senior Principal Engineer, AirTrain JFK
The Port Authority of NY & NJ
This position will be the expert on safety certification, technical specifications, engineering calculations, test procedures, analysis of equipment and system performance data in reference to Automatic Train Control (ATC) signaling system, electrified track, JungleMUX systems (JMUX), Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA), network, and communication equipment and system design, software and hardware. Reporting directly to the AirTrain Assistant Manager, this position will have the responsibilities and duties of managing contract staff relating to the track and signaling systems and other communication infrastructure of the AirTrain system. This work will involve providing technical expertise/ assistance to staff including but not limited to the planning, scheduling, auditing and oversight of daily preventative maintenance, corrective maintenance and safety certifications of expansion and design changes to include all areas of track & signals, communication and supporting computer networks.
- Build and maintain expertise in railroad signaling design and application under the rules and guidelines of the Federal Railroad Administration. Perform technical and managerial duties in the rehabilitation, maintenance, design, troubleshooting, construction supervision, and capital improvements to the signal system. Conduct quick response research and analysis on strategic issues. Support planning studies and planning coordination activities. Cultivate working relationships with peers at other railroad transportation agencies.
- Ensures that assets and services are protected with proper inspections, maintenance and repairs when needed, for all track, signal and communication infrastructure including responding to and coordinating for emergency incidents on the system; and provides assurance of proper signal inspections, maintenance and operational tests are in compliance.
- Provide expert technical support and advice on test procedures, test procedures, test requirements, lead investigations to identify root causes of equipment and subsystem failures. Also, analyze and evaluate system performance levels and make recommendations for hardware/ software changes and upgrades;
- This position will communicate across departments to alert the organization of changes and upgrades to equipment and systems, providing follow-up and follow through to ensure commitments are met, issues are resolved and appropriate and complete communications are fulfilled;
- Work with the contractors and develop preventative and corrective maintenance plans that effectively and efficiently use resources required to support Automatic Train Control (ATAC) engineering tests, software and hardware changes. This position will develop and implement contingency plans for changes or events that affect planned work and ensure plans have the least impact on revenue service;
- Adhere to all safety rules, work processes/ procedures and monitor/ audit activities to ensure that the contractors are in compliance to safety rules and have the skills and certifications to participate in tests and software/ hardware upgrades and changes. This position will conduct safety risk analysis, inspections and address safety concerns and issues. This position will report completely about system problems, malfunctions, incidents/ accidents and other issues that affect the safety and performance of employees and equipment.
Candidates must present the following qualifications to be considered eligible for this position:
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering from an accredited college or university
- Noted familiarity with rapid transit signal system design, related computer programming and computer networking applications.
- Minimum of 7 years of experience in Communication Based Train Control (CBTC) systems and railroad signaling.
- Experience establishing comprehensive, detailed plans with specific timelines, milestones and deliverables necessary to meet or exceed project goals.
- Experience in leading and managing staff, teams, project/program management, with internal and external partners, vendors, tenants, contractors.
- Strong quantitative, analytical, problem solving, decision-making skills, and critical-thinking abilities
- Must possess a valid driver’s license
- Proficient in the use of various computer programs such as Microsoft Excel (complex formulas, data manipulation, analytic reporting, etc); PowerPoint (creating/updating/ presenting).
- Be available to respond airport emergencies including snow alerts and report to work without delay on a 24-hour, seven-day per week basis, including weekend and holidays. The candidate must be also available to work off hours when required.