Governor Andrew M. Cuomo today announced the first set of restaurants that will debut in LaGuardia Airport’s new state-of-the-art Terminal B. The dining options are part of the comprehensive, $8 billion redevelopment of the entire airport, announced by the Governor in 2015. Each of the offerings is inspired by the New York experience and will feature locally-sourced products from in-state businesses, including outposts from award-winning chefs Scott Conant and Julian Medina, as well as hospitality titans Gerber Group and Shake Shack. This selection is the result of extensive research and feedback from travelers on what they want and expect from a 21st century airport experience.
“As LaGuardia Airport transforms into a modern, global gateway, it is critical that travelers have the opportunity to taste some of the best local dining New York has to offer,” Governor Cuomo said. “From a Hudson Valley coffee roaster, to a Mexico City-style taqueria born in East Harlem, the new Terminal B will highlight iconic restaurateurs and give travelers who pass through it an authentic taste of what it’s like to be a New Yorker.”
Featuring exclusive offerings from airport specialists HMSHost and SSP America, the dining concepts are the product of a meticulous selection process led by LaGuardia Gateway Partners, the private entity operating and redeveloping LaGuardia Airport’s Terminal B. LGP used consumer feedback to bring world-renowned brands and NYC favorites to the new airport, while also creating local jobs in Queens.
HMSHost will provide the unique dining experiences of Osteria Fusco, Shake Shack and La Chula and SSP America will contribute offerings from Irving Farm Coffee Roasters, Kingside Bar and Restaurant, and 5 Boroughs Food Emporium.
Along with a mix of award-winning New York brands and regionally sourced products, each operator also partnered with Airport Concession Disadvantaged Business Enterprises, or ACDBEs, to offer local small businesses the opportunity to showcase their products within the new concourse and grow their brands.
“Under Governor Cuomo’s leadership, LaGuardia will be the first entirely new airport built in the U.S. in more than 20 years,” said Port Authority Executive Director Rick Cotton. “These new high quality dining options will not only give travelers a true variety of New York tastes but be a critical component of delivering a world-class customer experience.”
The new Terminal B will open in phases starting later this year, with the first gates in the terminal’s eastern most concourse and these new concession partners. In addition, the first retail shops and services to open will be announced shortly. Even more robust selections of food and retail offerings will arrive in the main part of the terminal and the western concourse as those project phases are completed.
More than 50 new restaurants, shops, and services will be available to guests as part of the overall redevelopment of LaGuardia Terminal B, keeping with the theme of showcasing the best locally-based amenities plus a mix of exciting regional and national brands that travelers are seeking.
In July 2015, Governor Cuomo unveiled the vision for a comprehensive development of LaGuardia Airport. The $8 billion project, 80 percent of which is funded through private financing and existing passenger fees, will create a unified, 21st century terminal system. It is a complex, multi-phased project, requiring the construction of a new airport on top of an existing one while remaining fully operational. The project includes a new Terminal B, which will serve Air Canada, American Airlines, Southwest and United; a new Delta Air Lines Terminal C, replacing the current Terminals C and D; an improved roadway system; new parking infrastructure, and other associated projects.
About the New LaGuardia Terminal B Food Offerings
- 5 Boroughs Food Emporium: A custom designed concept for LaGuardia Terminal B, 5 Boroughs Food Emporium offers a modern, dynamic energetic marketplace curated with a great selection of snacks, treats, sandwiches, drinks and more from local purveyors serving up a taste of the Big Apple.
- Osteria Fusco: Osteria Fusco is from highly regarded New York restaurateur Chef Scott Conant, and travelers will feel an instant connection to this great Italian concept. LaGuardia Terminal B passengers will appreciate Conant’s house-made pastas and Italian fare, served with a thoughtful selection of new and old world wines.
- Irving Farm: A bona fide New York institution, Irving Farm Coffee Roasters has been an important fixture on New York’s coffee scene since it was founded as a neighborhood cafe near Gramercy Park in 1996. LaGuardia Terminal B will become the newest neighborhood to welcome Irving Farm—and its only airport location—with a vibe every bit as authentic as the locations on NYC’s streets and in other local transit hubs.
- Kingside: Founded at the Viceroy Central Park New York, the Kingside at LaGuardia Terminal B will be the first airport collaboration from regarded hospitality firm Gerber Group. Kingside features New American classics highlighting fresh, locally-sourced ingredients, paired alongside hand-crafted cocktails.
- La Chula: La Chula brings authentic 5-star quality Mexican food by Chef Julian Medina and redefines what quick-serve Mexican dining looks like. La Chula at LaGuardia Terminal B will feel every bit as authentic as the location in East Harlem, and feed travelers with the same speed and energy as the outpost in Grand Central Terminal.
- Shake Shack: Shake Shack serves up delicious burgers, hot dogs, frozen custard, shakes, beer, wine, and more. Created by revered New York restaurateur Danny Meyer, it has since grown from a humble New York burger stand in Madison Square Park into a global phenomenon.