Following up on the commitment made last month to respond to New York Governor Kathy Hochul’s request for a thorough review of mass transit options for reducing car traffic and increasing connectivity to LaGuardia Airport, the Port Authority has appointed a panel of esteemed, world-renowned, and independent transportation experts with regional, domestic and international experience to consult on and help guide the review process. These experts include the following individuals:
- Mike Brown, former Commissioner of Transport for London and former Managing Director, Heathrow Airport
- Janette Sadik-Khan, Principal, Bloomberg Associates and former Commissioner of the NYC Department of Transportation
- Philip A. Washington, CEO of Denver International Airport and former CEO of Los Angeles Metro
In addition to the input and expertise of these leading transportation voices, the MTA will be a key participant in the analysis of mass transit options, specifically the subway and bus alternatives.
The options that will be analyzed as part of the review process will include, at a minimum:
- improved and expanded bus service, including potential for dedicated lanes;
- ferry service;
- one-system rides including subway extension options;
- elevated guideway options including light rail from various LIRR and subway stops;
- other new and emerging technologies that can be pursued and implemented in the near-term.
Additional options may be added to the review based on input from the experts and other stakeholders.
The thorough and rigorous review of each alternative will include an assessment of key criteria and considerations including, but not limited to, the following:
- construction and other impacts on the local community;
- customer experience and length of travel time;
- greenhouse gas reduction;
- impacts to existing transit network/riders;
- improved access to airport;
- project cost;
- projected timeline to become operational;
- removal of cars from roadways;
- throughput capacity;
The final report will be completed as expeditiously as possible and will be made public upon completion.