ARK Import Export Center, LLC dba The ARK at JFK (“The ARK”), a multi-purpose live animal cargo reception, quarantine, and handling facility located directly on the airfield at JFK International Airport, is taking animal transportation to new heights by becoming CEIV Live Animals certified. The CEIV Live Animals designation establishes baseline standards to improve the level of competency, infrastructure, and quality management in the handling and transportation of live animals.
Since opening its doors on January 2nd, 2017, The ARK has established new industry standards for supporting the health and welfare of live animals traveling by air while enhancing overall airport security and safeguarding U.S. public health and agricultural resources. The ARK and its small animal kenneling and pet transport subsidiary, ARK Pet Oasis, is honored to be one of the first U.S.-based companies to become certified as CEIV – Live Animals.
The journey to becoming IATA CEIV Live Animals certified involves training and in-depth assessment and validation audits of the systems, procedures, and day-to-day operations that identify areas of improvement and applies quality and risk management protocols to ensure the best quality service for live animal cargo. Within the air cargo industry, the accreditation enhances standardization and professionalism, enforces compliance with the IATA Live Animal Regulations (LAR), elevates staff competency, and enables increased collaboration amongst stakeholders and certified trade lanes.
“Animal owners, breeders, and shippers rely heavily on airlines to carry their precious cargo. We congratulate The ARK on achieving CEIV Live Animals certification, which is intended to ensure that live animals are traveling in safe, healthy, and humane conditions. IATA is committed to working with ARK and wider industry stakeholders to achieve excellence in the transport of live animals,” said Brendan Sullivan, IATA’s Global Head of Cargo.
“The ARK is the first operation of its kind in the world and the second in the United States to become CEIV Live Animals certified. While ARK leadership has been confident that its facility and operation provide superior accommodation and care for all animals transiting through JFK, the CEIV certification validates ARK’s efforts and commitment to the aviation industry, and PANYNJ airports, Federal regulatory agencies, and its exceptional animal handlers. The certification further highlights ARK’s compliance with the IATA Live Animal Regulations” says Elizabeth A. Schuette, President, and CEO of The ARK at JFK.
The ARK at JFK is committed to the safe and humane treatment of all animals traveling by air and setting the gold standard in animal handling and transportation. It is located in Cargo Building 78A at New York’s John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK) on 14.4 acres of direct airside property. The ARK provides unmatched quality care for all creatures, including in-transit companion animals, horses, birds, rabbits, turtles, mice, goats, and zoo/exotic animals. ARK’s services and amenities include:
- Equine Import Quarantine Center with forty-eight 12×12’ individual climate-controlled stalls with 100% air exchange and negative pressure
- Equine Export Center with twenty-three 12×12’ stalls
- In-transit quarters to facilitate inspection of in-transit birds and other exotic animals
- On-site USDA-accredited veterinarian oversees biosecurity, conducts required equine quarantine responsibilities, provides examinations, and prepares export health certifications for small animals
- ARK Pet Oasis with 47 dog kennels, 12 cat kennels, isolation kennels, and a veterinary triage area
- Personalized retail pet shipping and freight forwarding services to assist with the relocation of clients valued furry family members
- Dedicated ground handling and transport services for live animal cargo at all PANYNJ airports